Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Monday 4 October 2010

A lot of food and a sickly cook...

It has been a while since my last blog, so this one may go on a bit... *apologising in advance*.

Thursday brought with it the grand opening of Waitrose - have I mentioned it yet?? - and the TV launch of Nigella's 'Kitchen'. I dashed into Waitrose at lunch time to see what all of the fuss was about and immediately realised when the first thing to greet me was a gorgeous Patisserie counter with adorable cupcakes on display. I had definitely found one of my new favourite hangout places - what has become of me?

Nigella's 'Kitchen' was everything I expected and more. The best bit of the show, as always, was the midnight-feast bit at the very end. This episode saw her sneak down to the fridge to devour some peanut butter cheesecake, piled high with whole peanuts - love her. Other notes on the programme: it reminded me of my wish to have a walk-in larder; every time I see her studio kitchens on screen, I want to hotfoot it to mine and sprinkle it with fairy lights. Best think of the electricity bill...


On Thursday evening we had Chicken Teriyaki which was lovely. I really do like the combination of the chicken with sake and mirin. Master M reckoned the chicken was a bit fatty but I don't know if this is just because it was poached so the textures were different. I am sure he said 4/5 though so can't be bad.

I don't think it stopped raining on Friday and Little M and I had a lot of errands to run. Post Office, gift-buying, quick shot at Gymboree and then visiting a friend and her baby in the afternoon. All the hopping to-and-from the car created havoc with my hair and I had a fetching Afro by the end of it, much to Little M's amusement. Friday was Master M's time to cook and he made a lovely baked cambembert concoction with apples and toasted ciabatta. I've got to let him near the kitchen at times, as he is a rather good cook and I like being waited on hand and foot.


On Saturday we had a lovely time at a friend's son's naming day. It was a very moving morning - lots of readings, and a Bob Dylan rendition on the guitar - followed by a 'do' at the Leeds Club afterwards. I wasn't sure if it was because I had yet to have my morning coffee fix, or if it was the two pre-noon gin-and-tonics that did it, but I had a horrendous headache that stuck for the rest of the day. A walk to good old Roundhay Park helped a little, as did watching Little M enjoy running around 'quacking' at the ducks. Fastforward to later on, a friend came over to sample the Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce prepared earlier, and to take part in the viewing of X Factor formalities - The Judges' Houses. I think the verdict on the meatballs was that the sauce was on the runny side which I agreed with. Couldn't really taste the flavours due to my head cold. Maybe I won't swill the tomato cans and add water as Nigella recommends.


Still felt wretched on Sunday, the headache hanging around and just feeling below-par in general. We went to church and then headed to IKEA to get Little M a little table and chair which he was made-up with for the rest of the day, he looks so grown up sitting at it. A heavily-pregnant friend popped over for a natter, tea and biccies in the afternoon which was just the ticket on another torrentially rainy day. Had the ultimate new comfort food in the evening, a contender for chicken soup would you believe it?, Marmite with Spaghetti. And this is coming from someone who is a 'hates it' girl. Not any more. Maybe it is because you use just a hint.

X Factor rant alert: Was not impressed by Cheryl's X Factor decision to put blondie through to the live shows. Is she insane?? Gamu is amazing and should be snapped up now by a record company regardless. I uttered the words 'I'm not watching this now' but know I can't resist.

I am one day behind on the Nigella challenge but think it is ok due to the man-flu or whatever it is I have. Off sick today from work and every time I move from my duvet I go all hot and dizzy. Back under I go... Until I resurface later to cook African Drumsticks which is just a throw in the roasting tin job.

My final note, which is just more of a shout-out for a blog that has been recommended to me is for The Happiness Project London, written by a friend of a friend. In my feeling-sorry-for-myself state, I looked it up this morning on my iphone and have been hooked on it all morning. More 'chicken soup for the soul' type stuff. I personally am going to take on the rules she advocates - please read more at http://thehappinessprojectlondon.wordpress.com/

Aaatchooo.

Goddess Mx

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see pictures of Waitrose! You're so lucky to have that around. It's very rare that we get to even see Nigella's show here, and I adore her. Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete