Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Sunday 31 October 2010

Key (S)Lime Pie

Had a great time at the kid's Halloween party. My friend who hosted is one of those mums I always dreamt I would be - super organised and brave enough to invite a bucketload of toddlers over for a party in her house. I never seem to find the time or the inclination. Having said that, I probably had more fun at her house today for a mid-afternoon bash than I would do a grown-up party with drinks and nibbles. Must get out more! We played ghost-skittles, decorated pumpkin faces and had scrummy pumpkin soup and lots of other halloween-themed food like ghost rice crispy cakes, beetle grapes and pastry witch fingers. Someone commented on my cool spider fascinator. I am so stylish obviously! On the way home Little M was astonished at the darkness. 'Dark' is one of his favourite words, but I don't think he has actually been outside in it for quite a while. He never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, back at the ranch I cooked sole (or 'soul' for the purposes of halloween), coated in instant polenta. This was served with a rather cheeky Tartare sauce made up of creme fraiche, gherkins, baby capers, jalapeno peppers and lemon juice/zest. I loved the whole thing. One of the best dishes of the challenge yet and my expectations were not high to begin with. Maybe that is how I should play things in future so that I will be pleasantly surprised.


For dessert we had Chocolate Key Lime Pie which tasted good, but the presentation left a lot to be desired. Basically I reckon I have the wrong kind of pie dish. I used a ceramic one, but think I need to invest in a tin dish which is deeper and larger. The biscuit base was nice but didn't really set in the fridge. The choc chips were a nice twist in the base, and the filling was zesty and refreshing. There is an abundance of it left in the fridge which I hope will be eaten while I am away over the next couple of days in London - a work visit, but still looking forward to it as the last time I was in the capital I was 9 months pregnant so way too long ago.

Due to being away, I am going to be doing a lot of cooking when I come back. This week I am one dish down as I was unable to source baby squid anywhere. A challenge for next week.

Goodnight.

Goddess Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment