Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Tuesday 26 October 2010

Pear Pandowdy


I am writing this blog with a Texan-drawl just to set the scene for anyone reading. This is my kind of pie as the ramshackle appearance is part of its charm - and that is what I like. Home cooking should look like this, and it makes eating all the more enjoyable. I get a bit bored rolling out pastry for hours on end, trying to make sure it doesn't break, so this was the perfect amount of time mixing and rolling only one piece - the lid to a pot (or griddle) of perfection!

I have done a little research but can't really find an origin for the Pandowdy, but have decided that it should be America. In Louisiana to be precise. And to be even more exact, the little town that True Blood is filmed in. That is the image in my mind so that is where it shall be from!

The pandowdy differs from other pies as it just has a crust on the top only. I thought it was lovely. Having had maybe one too many puddings of late, I was actually thinking that eating this would be a chore but it was delicate, consisting mainly of pears rather than apples, although I did throw a couple of apples in. The pears were lovely and grainy, not too sharp, and the pastry nice and plain to balance everything off. We have half left so enough for more tonight. Lush.

Off to face the rest of the day bravely. Had my first session this morning with a chiropractor who told me I have a knot the size of a golfball in my right shoulder. He has corrected my spine, and my neck - with two very loud cracks - and has warned me that I will feel very uncomfortable later today and that I will need to apply icepacks tonight. Hope I have lots of frozen peas in the freezer.

(A sore) Goddess Mx

1 comment:

  1. Was it easy to make? I want to eventually make pear pandowdy - it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete