Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Mussels in Cider, followed by Downton Abbey


Well, I was delighted with last night's dinner of Mussels in Cider. I love Moules Marinieres in its original French winey state, but was keen to try this version too, although slightly hesitant after sampling Mussels in Guiness during a recent Belfast trip. I love both Guiness and Mussels but the two are not a marriage made in heaven.

As much as I was dreading the 'debearding', I actually got quite into it. And the byssals are just like little beards - cute. My favourite part of the process was tapping the half-open uncooked mussels against the sink to see if they closed, and dragged this bit out as long as possible. The liquid I cooked the mussels in comprised of olive oil, parsley, sliced garlic, spring onions and vintage (darling) cider. And it worked very well! And yes, the bread dipping was the best bit whilst eating.

After dinner we watched 'Downton Abbey' which we had pre-recorded. As Master M says, no-one does period dramas like the BBC. Think I quite like it. Favourite quote of the programme which got me thinking was when the Earl of Grantham said of Downton Abbey 'It is my third parent and my fourth child'. Can you imagine feeling so passionate about something/somewhere other than your family?

Tonight I need to find the time to make Strawberry and Almond Crumble for tonight's dessert (takeaway treat for dinner with an old friend from our Leicester days), and may make Apple and Cinnamon Muffins to take to work tomorrow. I think I may have gained a few pounds since the start of this challenge.

Goddess Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment