Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Thursday 6 January 2011

Light at the end of the post-christmas blues

Well, today was the day that I packed away the rest of our christmas decorations. Yes, I know that I am probably later than most other peeps, and our lovely christmas tree did come down on 6th January. But who says it should have? Well, from a religious point-of-view the 6th is The Epiphany, the revelation of Jesus. To me that would say that the tree should stay up a bit longer, and adorn even more lights, but no, my living room is going to become as grey and January-ish as the rest of my life at the moment.


So, let's do a little trot back down memory lane, December-stylie, remembering some of my glorious christmas fodder. I am also going to submit this post as part of the Forever Nigella blogging event - http://blog.maisoncupcake.com/forever-nigella/.

There was the jumbleberry jam (from Nigella Kitchen), which was a raging success. I am still enjoying it now on toast with comforting tea, and the berries make me feel like I am kind-of being healthy (no need to mention all the jam sugar). I also gifted some of the jam to some friends who were pleased recipients.

My steeped christmas fruits (from Nigella Christmas) were well-worth the wait as the plump Grand Marnier-drenched golden sultanas made a scrumptious marriage with some good quality vanilla ice cream - posh rum n raisin at its best, and a lush pudding on christmas eve for the family. I also made vanilla sugar which was a nice treat in my coffee, and will be for months to come.

The festive salt (from Nigella Christmas) was dished up with our boxing day feast and used sparingly, and today we used it on our roast chicken, although I can't say I really tasted it - don't think it helped that I bought a cheap chicken (skinto). Looks pretty and christmassy though and makes me feel like a domestic goddess if my salt is in a special jar.

Winter isn't the same without some cosy soups to curl up with, and Dr Lawson's Cuban Cure Soup (from Nigella Christmas) was no exception. A robust soup with chorizo and black beans, this warmed the cockles no end. I think I am going to make more soups this year, but wholesome ones to get excited about. No pic here I am afraid.

My chilli jam (from Nigella Christmas) was a failure then I triumph all at once, due to reheating it a day later to help it set. Not been able to sample it yet as I am waiting for it to mature at the end of this month. Grrr... Another thing (along with pay day) to work towards. C'mon!

My marinated feta (from Nigella Christmas) was great, but am dissapointed that it has set in a conjealed murky oily mess in the jar (refrigerated). At least I tried it. This always happens to anchovies for me too. Anyone relate and how can you stop it happening?

Double blue crostinis (from Nigella Christmas) were a nice little bring-along I took to a party for the toddlers. The mummies seemed to like and I surprised myself with how easy it was to make a yummy dip. You can't go wrong with blue cheese. Well maybe if your friend announces at the party that she is preggers. Oh well!

I had a little pre-detox before christmas - for all of half a day - eating homemade chicken broth (from Nigella Christmas). Really bland but kind-of in a good way and it blew my cold out of town, which I had been carrying for months on end beforehand.

I knew at the start of December that I had to make Nige's puddini bonbons (from Nigella Christmas) and I am glad I did. They brought instant christmas cheer (when I was eating the mixture whilst making) and gorgeous little gifts but note to self to make them smaller next time to fit more in gift boxes.

The making of Peanut Butter Cups (from Nigella Christmas) was a lesson in 'don't judge a book by its cover'. They looked ghastly but tasted immense. Peanut butter and chocolate are meant to be and I have been addicted to the former since.

My solitary addition to christmas dinner was redder than red cranberry sauce (from Nigella Christmas), with cherry brandy. I really enjoyed it but think it is sweeter than your standard stuff. I would advocate never buying this again though as it is no trouble at all to make.

This year marked the beginning of christmas eve eating. We had previously been fans of takeaways but it was nice to get family around the table to eat Ginger-glazed ham and Macaroni (you guessed it, from Nigella Christmas). I will now be making a christmas ham every year whether it is cooked in ginger ale, coca cola or pineapple juice, this is a must-have of the festive season. Unfortunately I am missing a photo of the magnificent ham.

Nigella I salute you - I feel like you were almost with us this christmas, what with all of the delights you have inspired me to cook. Who needs Jamie Oliver? One thing that seemed to be all the rage this time with Jamie and all of the celebrity chefs was leaving your turkey to rest for hours after cooking. Seems bonkers but it really works and makes for juicy, tender turkey. Who knows what they will come up with next year. I do hope Heston's christmas pud with the candied orange in the centre comes back. Well worth the media frenzy and £15, but perhaps not worth the crazy ebay bidding on them when Waitrose ran out. Maybe I will try making my own - Nigella's of course? New project!

Happy 2011 to all - cooking and doing whatever else makes you happy. I know that's what I will be doing.

Goddess Mx

PS - my hubby also cooked some Nigella stuff this christmas and I am trying to persuade him to do a guest post. Watch this space!

PPS - normal blogging will resume tomorrow as I am aware this is a review of previous cooking, therefore posts. I cooked a FIERCE meal on Friday which I am excited about sharing and maybe somethine else cooking related to chat about which is potentially quite exciting!

4 comments:

  1. Fancy a visitor next Christmas??

    Wonderful round-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were certainly busy this Christmas season. Everything looked wonderful and delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers! I can't believe how many things you made? That's fantastic! I especially like your description of "plump Grand Marnier-drenched golden sultanas"! Very Nigella!!

    Thank you for taking part and I can't wait to see what you make next. I have still only made the pumpkin scones from Kitchen and need to try out something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is certainly alot of Nigella inspiration. They all look wonderfully tasty ;0)

    ReplyDelete