Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Monday 24 January 2011

An ambulance, a new bed and an audition

Well, my weekend has kept me on my toes, that's for sure.

Little M was suffering with a cold last week - the umpteenth this year. On Friday he developed a rash, so, to be on the safe side, I made an appointment with our GP to check it out before the weekend was on us. He did all the usual checks which were fine, but when looking at the rash he seemed more concerned and mentioned 'suspected meningitis', words that no parent wants to ever hear. At this point I felt all of the colour drain out of my face. Before we knew what was happening, Little M was overjoyed during the journey to hospital shouting 'ambulance, nee-naw'. I'm glad he enjoyed the ride! To cut a long story short, we spent the rest of the night in hospital so that Little M could provide urine samples and have blood taken. Let me tell you it's not easy to get blood out of a tubby toddler. After a long and anxious night, we were told it was viral, and that we could go home. Phew!

The following day, at lunch time, I tried to put Little M in the cot for a nap, listening outside his bedroom door as I normally do. Seconds later I heard the little pitter-patter of his feet running towards the door. So he had climbed out of the cot. When asked to show us how he had done it, he proudly obliged prompting Master M to build Little M's 'big boy bed'. It was a bit of a toss-up between keeping him in the cot a while longer and risking him abseiling down the side; or going for the bed option with the worry of him roaming around at his leisure upstairs. We went for the latter. I spent the rest of the day in a frenzy racking my brains on how to make sure everything was as toddler-proof as could be. Master M was out on Saturday night, so I didn't sleep too well listening out for little feet, but gladly, Little M only fell out the bed once and it didn't wake him. He just carried on sleeping on the floor. Bless. I think he loves his new bed.

On Sunday I had my big audition for Britain's Best Dish so we all traipsed off to York for the day. The audition was a bit long-winded - lots of waiting around - but basically consisted of a screen test, a chat with the programme producers and then another conversation with the ITV food team. The last two bits were absolutely fine, but the first bit was awful! I had to pitch to camera about my dish in quite a gimmicky fashion which I suppose is what telly is all about. The producers gave me some ideas of how I can make my dish more special, and I should hear more this week. It was a good experience, if nothing else comes of it.

Fast-forward to today and I have been off work sick for a couple of days. I've just been to the docs who have confirmed it is a throat infection so I am currently on the sofa under my duvet, drugged up on penicillin and linctus. Think Little M may have given me his poison!


Apart from my Britain's Best Dish pudding, the only thing I have made in between all the commotion is Anchovy, Egg and Pepper Salad. The saltiness of the anchovies complemented the creaminess of the eggs and sweetness of the peppers. I had this as a dinner for one and would quite happily have it again either as a solo supper, or for the rest of the family.

More cooking soon.

Goddess Mx

PS - happy birthday Robert Burns, and to those of you celebrating, enjoy your haggis, neeps and tatties.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a weekend. Is there anything more nerve wrecking than a sick child in the hospital. Glad it all turned out fine. Your dish look delicious. I am the only one in my house that likes anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are amazing - I love the way they melt into olive oil, and they really add something yummy to homemade pasta sauce. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was some weekend. So pleased to hear that Little M had a virus and not something so much more serious. We are planning on moving Ruby (2 yrs 5 mnths) into a little bed next week. She hasn't bothered to try to climb over the side yet - she's quite lazy when she wakes up and just lies there calling out 'mama mama mama I'm waking up', but I don't want to leave it too much longer. Keeping fingers crossed that your audition was a success and that we'll see you on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased that everything was ok. Can not wait to hear about your audition

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are all feeling way better very soon.

    The audition sounds really interesting - nice to know what happens on the other side of the camara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snap ... had a similar trip to hospital with HoneyB with similar outcome. We never ever want to go thru the blood-taking again!

    Best of luck with the best dish program - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anchovies, the way they melt in your mouth,hmmm. The salad looks great, lovely colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! A lot going on for you this week. Good luck with the audition, hope you hear good news and pleased Little M is better even if you are now suffering!

    ReplyDelete