Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Not rolicking enough

All excited last night about my new jam funnel (oh dear) I got ready in my kitchen to make Chilli Jam. Jam sugar - check, cider vinegar - check, red chillis and peppers - check - and off I went.

I did the same as with the Jumbleberry Jam, erm maybe except from testing on frozen saucers (the jam is actually more of a jelly so I didn't think I needed to). There was an 'oh sh*t' moment when as I was leaving it at a rolicking boil (as per the recipe), the frothy mixture rose at an astonishing pace to the top of the pot and boiled over onto the hob. I shrieked and jumped back, not wanting to be scalded, and then continued to let it boil, a little less ferociously.

The result is that the jam hasn't set! It is more of a syrup. I have two choices: bottle it and rename 'chilli sauce' or try and salvage it by decanting from the jars back into a pot and reheating, this time testing as I go.



Not so smug anymore. This might be my last preserve of the season!

Goddess Mx

8 comments:

  1. Chilli sauce sounds great too. Perfect with a few slices of cold ham on Boxing Day maybe? Hope you managed to get the cooker clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're braver than me... I'm yet to make jam. Although I do own the funnel I only use it to decant things into jars like rice and lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I made this chilli jam the exact same thing happened to me! I'm making it again this year but will be watching it like a hawk. From what I've been told, the jam isn't actually supposed to set hard. I thought this link might help: http://www.nigella.com/kitchen-queries/view/853

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have not salvaged yet but think I might just turn it into a sauce after all!

    Thanks for the link Nickki, and for stopping by. I am going to reheat it tonight and see if that does the trick - I am thinking that it just wasn't boiling for long enough. Just off to have a peek at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds most extaordinary....but I feel sure you can think of a useful way of using, and enjoying, it. Most of my jams seem to be unfeasably runny, so I guess we're just used to things running off plates.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made the chilli jam a few times, and don't mind if it is runny - it is just too delicious to worry about that!!!!!!!!!

    Looking forward to reading all your back posts - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first visit to your blog, can't wait to see what you cook up. I love Nigella, I've been a fan of hers for years. Sorry about your mishap with the Chilli - sauce sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great chilli sauce you've made. Seriously, just repost the whole thing with pride :)

    ReplyDelete