Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Sunday 5 December 2010

Jammy Dodger

Sometimes I think I am a 'jammy git' - in other words, a bit of a fluke who lands on my feet, despite not trying too hard. I should give myself more credit though as I have managed to make some lovely Jumbleberry Jam, which I am incredibly proud of! The most tricky bit of the whole thing was finding jam jars at a decent price, so I have ended up buying a selection from different places, which I will now have to fill with more lovely preserves. I conclude that the cheapest place to buy jars is Hobbycraft where standard jam jars are only about a quid each - bargain.


So, off I ventured to make my jam. I couldn't believe quite how easy it was - throwing together some mixed summer berries (frozen), and an equal amount of jam sugar, bringing to a boil and simmering for 15 minutes, before testing a scrummy blob on a chilled saucer (I had to repeat this process three times) to see if set - you know it is done if it starts to wrinkle. Next I poured the sticky goo into jars, left to cool, lidded and tied with pretty polka-dot ribbon.


Truly in the mood for preparing jarred goods, and with many jars left to use, I made some steeped christmas fruits (golden sultanas drenched in Grand Marnier) which will create part of my posh rum and raisin ice-cream. Whilst at it I made a jar of vanilla sugar - split and cut vanilla pod in granulated sugar. This will be used for vanilla coffee among other sweet treats.

Looking forward to a night out at Harewood House tonight with some girlfriends - christmas fair and a slap-up meal. If I have time before heading out, I will make some festive salt.

Goddess Mx

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the blog K, and feel ashamed by my lack of cooking recently. Yesterday I reheated some pasta in the microwave for dinner (oh the shame!)

    The concept of working through a cookbook is a really good one - for keeping food interesting but also for a blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very excited to discover your blog and will be keeping an eye on your progress in my RSS reader.

    You simply MUST submit something to my new food blogging event "Forever Nigella", it would be a piece of cake for you - all the info at
    http://blog.maisoncupcake.com/forever-nigella/

    Hope you come and join in!

    ReplyDelete