Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Saturday 13 November 2010

South-East Asian cuisine rules on a Friday night

Having accidentally omitted the year-out travelling at the end of uni, we have done a good job packing in a few countries over the years including the majority of Europe, Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, New York and the glorious India. I have loved every one of those countries for different reasons, and obviously food plays a significant part in the experience. However, if food was the deciding factor, Thailand would win every time for me. The cuisine is delicious, healthy, fresh and oh so pretty - intricatly floral-carved fruit anyone? Yes please.


We have a (sort of) strict fish-on-a-friday rule, so it sometimes feels quite limiting when choosing what to eat. Last night we had Salmon and Sushi Rice with a hot, sweet 'n sour Asian sauce. Not strictly South-East Asian, more Pan-Asian food with touches of japanese, Vietnamese and Thai flavours. I griddled the salmon, much to Master M's distaste as he cannot stand the smell of fish in the the house. I agree, but to be honest, pan-fried salmon is so scrumptious that I will put up with a smelly house for the satisfaction it gives. Sushi rice is another of my new cupboard must-haves. It is like a cross between normal rice and sticky, but you can eat it quite happily with a fork, although I do like getting my hands involved with a good sticky-rice. The sauce was excellent - garlic, red chillies (hot), ginger, fish sauce (sour), sake, mirin and lime juice. We devoured it.


Next up was Orange and Blueberry Trifle (should have been Blackberry, but they are out of season). Easy-peasy pud to make - marmalade sponge drenched in Cointreau and freshly squeezed orange juice, piled with whipped double cream, and decorated with jewels (blueberries). It was nice, but I don't think it is as good as an old-skool trifle with custard - call me old fashioned.

We didn't watch Mad Men last night, but finished the first season of Downton Abbey which I have loved. Nice surprise that they are doing another series. On that note, cannot wait for the next lot of Sherlock Holmes which I thought was genius.

Off to Tokyo this evening, so I better get my Kimono on before I skip into the kitchen for tonight's treat!

Goddess Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment