Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Sunday 8 May 2011

Fashionable Food

Red velvet cake is a relatively new concept to me, and as fashionable as macaroons. The bottom line is that I think I like colourful cakes, so the idea of a shocking red cake intrigued me. So, today was the day. I obviously opted for the Nigella's Kitchen version, in cupcake form, rather than a larger cake.

Dry ingredients were plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarb. In another bowl I creamed caster sugar, butter, red food colouring (you can use beetroot to do this too, but not for me), vanilla extract and buttermilk. I gradually mixed the dry and wet together with beaten egg and added cider vinegar. I poured the mixture between 12 cake cases and baked for 20 minutes.


The result was some rather topsy-turvy looking cakes - all different sizes. I do wish I had used muffin cases as I think they make for a more impressive cupcake but hey-ho. The frosting was butter mixed with icing sugar, cider vinegar and cream cheese. I decorated the cakes with chocolate sprinkles, but would have liked some red sugar, as suggested in 'the book', however, this delicacy was not to be found in your average supermarket on a Sunday afternoon.

We have had three of the cakes, and have delivered some to friends this afternoon as they are best eaten on the day apparently (we have a dozen). It would be rude of me not to have another tonight, would it not??

Goddess Mx

17 comments:

  1. Its the first time I am hearing of cider vinegar being used in frosting. I suppose it adds acidity just like lemons. It would be rude and disrespectful to the cake to not have some tonight:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow cup cake looks wonderful and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! And, I've never heard of the cider vinegar in the frosting either, just the red velvet cake batter. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cupcakes! I, too, am intrigued by the cider vinegar. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cider vinegar? Now that is definitely a new one. Intriguing! Love the look of your cupcakes and love how they are in different sizes. Keep it that way. Wonderful blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! So beautiful! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy, I know I would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love a taste of your red velvet cupcakes; what a great name for your blog.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love red velvet cupcakes, instead of red sugar, you can crumble one of the cupcakes and sprinkle bright red cake crumbs over the icing, looks really pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. your red velvet cupcakes are wonderful..i love the choclate sprinkles on top, but also like the idea of crumbles of cake over the top..how neat!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good red velvet cake or cupcake is hard to resist. I have yet to try Nigella's but yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love red velvet, and your cakes look positively yummy!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love red velvet. this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mhmmm, sounds tasty. I am velvet virgin, too. Sometimes it's good to go with the trend, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmm! i have never braved homemade red velvet... very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks scrumptious! I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. these cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete