Hello and Welcome!

Hello and welcome to my blog.

This is my very first one, so bear with me and enjoy reading about my adventures cooking all of the recipes from Nigella Lawson's new book 'Kitchen'.

From time-to-time I may post about things other than cooking, after all, Nigella does sell a lifestyle that most women would like have a slice of, so I would like to share a bit of mine - not quite as glamorous but fun none-the-less (may I add that most of my ideas and thoughts revolve around food anyway)!

Just to set the scene a little, I am based in Yorkshire, live with my husband and gorgeous toddler who is rapidly approaching his second year. I work in the events industry and love music, books, fashion, culture and of course... food.

Enjoy.

Goddess Mx (meant in the loosest possible sense, believe me)!

Saturday 5 February 2011

A world made of chocolate

I often wonder what it would be like if the world was made of chocolate. I am not kidding, that is how much I adore the stuff. I love the Lynx advert when the guy walking down the road is made of chocolate. Now that is the kind of man I like - I don't wonder why he is eaten in the cinema, gets his bum bitten on the bus and has his arm ripped off. Hansel and Gretel was also one of my favourite books, probably because it gave me an excuse to daydream about a house made of sweets and chocolate.


It was no contest when Maison Cupcake challenged us with the latest Forever Nigella to 'Seduce with Chocolate'. Chocolate brownie bowls are not brownies as you know them. They are not gooey but more sponge-like so that they can hold whichever filling you wish to load them with. In Kitchen, Nigella strongly advocates using a special 6-Cavity Dessert Shell Pan. She does also say that you can use Yorkshire pudding tins instead, which I did (I do live in Leeds after all). My brownie bowls were actually saucers which I prefer as I was able to fill more ice-cream into mine!


I added horlicks, cocoa powder and boiling water to melted butter mixed with sugar. To the mix I poured in some yoghurt, flour, bicarbonate of soda, egg and vanilla and whisked up. The mixture was then poured into a couple of Yorkshire tins and oven-baked for just over ten minutes, pressing down on them with a teacup to get the 'saucer' effect, and voila, perfect little holders for a never-ending list of fillings. My choice du jour was good quality vanilla ice-cream and chocolate sauce.

The great thing about these puddings is that they can seduce just about anyone with chocolate because the bowls are not rich so you can really go to town with the topping. Master M reckoned they would be good with poached pear or stewed apple, and even suggested a Black Forest brownie bowl (eighties chic)! Nigella's dried cherries soaked in cherry brandy (from her Christmas book) would work a treat for this. I like 'death by chocolate' so would go for choc ice-cream, sauce, sprinkles and might even add a cheeky flake.

One last fab thing about these bowls is that you can make up a batch and freeze them to seduce yourself whenever you have the urge. Now if you will excuse me, I have a date with a brownie saucer...

Goddess Mx

10 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious! I already own two Nigella cookbooks, but I may have to purchase this one! I'll be making my Forever Nigella recipe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love Nigella. I think I would have gone for the vanilla ice cream too. It is great that you can freeze them, instant dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great, I have often admired this recipe myself but never attempted it. Might be time to push the boat out me thinks ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My god that looks good! I've been tempted to buy the special tin that Nigella recommends for this recipe, but I think I'll just try this in a yorkshire pudding tin to save money :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking at this recipe and thinking it would be a bit much to buy the special tins just for this one dessert. Think I might follow you down the yorkshire pudding tin route!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yummy looking. I'm now following you just so I can keep up with the lifesytle you mentioned.
    I too have only just started blogging. I invite you over to my site, I am an artist, if you would like to know more about me I invite you to my art website.
    ~Jean
    http://www.jeanhartartwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember reading about these and have never got around to trying them. They sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time on your blog - Would love to send in an entry - I have a dessert event happening on my blog as well - Please check out the details here :) - looks forward :)
    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/01/guest-event-coming-to-now-serving.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried these yet, thanks for the reminder - great tip to freeze them.

    ReplyDelete